Thursday, March 22, 2012

The women besides the driver

BY GRACE CHIRUMANZU
Jess Watson cruised to the ramp of the 2012 Toyota Challenge Rally together with his co-driver, wife Sasha in a first couple victory in 32-years.
Sasha one of the women participants in this year’s showcase was pleased to have been the woman besides the victorious man, Jess, to champion the three-day competition in a time of 2 hours 40 minutes 17 seconds.
“Initially that (being in motorsport) was not my choice, it was my husband’s and I decided to follow in his footsteps to support him. I have rallied with him twice so far and each time I have enjoyed it,”said Sasha.
“The race was tight at the beginning and I am happy that we managed to win, it was just unfortunate to have other good drivers pulling out after the challenges they faced.”
Bronwyn Ebrahim, wife to Ronald Parsell, was also one of the female co-drivers navigating their partners in the Challenge Rally, last weekend.
Women are generally known to have a gentle tough to almost everything they do, with most of them being critical of male drivers speeding on the road. But Sasha and Bronwyn declared they loved speed.
“I am pretty much of a adrenaline junkie by nature, I have always been. So I have always felt very safe with him (Jess).” said Sasha Watson.
Bronwyn added, “I have always loved speed, during my childhood I was the fastest on my bike and so now I want to be the fastest in the cars. I remember when I did my first motor rally experience in 2006 it was out of this world and I kept telling the driver “faster!!”
“I love our partnership (with Parsell) because he hardly ever doubts me because if the turn is right round the corner you can go maximum speed and tell him it’s about time to turn so he trusts my call, which is a good thing.”
Parsell and his 39-year-old wife, Bronwyn, who is a mother of seven, finished the competition on position six.

No comments:

Post a Comment