Wednesday, August 3, 2011

500 women armed with life skills



BY GRACE CHIRUMANZU






MACHEKE- Kunzwana Women’s Association (KWA) in collaboration with the British Embassy capped part of the 500 successful graduates from their Mationesa Training Centre in Macheke, last week as they continue to empower the unemployed rural woman with practical livelihood skills.
66 participants from the four constituencies, which included Chikomba East, Makoni North, West and South, went through various training under Kunzwana with the British Embassy funding from February to July.
According to the association’s executive director, Emmie Wade, 96 clubs were formed this year with a total number of 2 820 women attaining membership.
“It is unfortunate that at times we are actually turning women away; it is our wish to empower them all but sometimes we are limited by resources. When we went to Chikomba to recruit 66 women we found the compound filled with over 200 women who were hoping to take part. It is interesting to see how women in our country are hungry to learn,” she said.
The British Embassy second secretary Sarah Bennet added, “I used to be in the army and I know how it is like to be involved in a male dominated environment that is why I am so keen to champion women empowerment.”
“To see that we encounter poverty, we need to start appreciating women as equal partners of men. It is my hope that those graduating will one day be able to start their own businesses and generate an income for their families.”
Formed back in 1993, KWA was aimed at promoting and facilitating the social, economic and educational and cultural advancement of disadvantaged women, children and youth residing or working in farming communities.
This they have done by the establishment of effective working club networks, provision of information and training on life surviving skills such as carpentry, weaving, garment making, nutrition including organic farming, candle making, poultry, interior decoration, flower arrangements, pottery, tie and dye, food processing, shoe making, basket work among others.
This have seen many women rising from grass to being proud of their ability to contribute in providing for their families and gaining their men’s respect in recent years.
The Association began under a Mango tree at the residence of founding member Emma Mahlunge. She worked with three other women to have KWA registered and moved to the staff quarters at her house which was used as offices for four years.
The dedication of the founding team over the past 15 years has seen the Association grow to become a recognized development institution in Zimbabwe. These women volunteered and used their own resources to develop a framework that would help those less fortunate than they are.
The Founding team established club networks of not less than 10 women and not more than 30 women. These are now fully functional in Macheke, Kwekwe, Marirangwe, Tsunga, Nyamandlovu, Goromonzi and Muzurusani.
Mahlunge said, “This is meant to help women and have them help empower others. Women empowerment is wrongly interpreted by some men as a way of giving women the power to rule and disrespect them; but I encourage all women to sit down with their men and get them to sincerely understand what this is all about.”
“When we started this programme it was only targeted at women, but as we began to show progress men began to appreciate our work with some encouraging their women to join as others approached us to be members. We agreed that they will only take part in the courses but they will not take up positions within the association.”
KWA have since incorporated men within their training centers making it a bakery of empowerment for both men and women. But the majority of the participants remain the less privileged women.

Clarah Mhondo –Organic Farming; Chikomba East
I was a woman who knew I can help raise my family through farming, but my major worry was where I was going to get the money for the required fertilizers. My experience with Kunzwana’s project of organic farming wiped out all my worries when I got to learn that the unavailability of fertilizer cannot stop me from achieving what I want. It is just so amazing how I can use manure and ashes as a substitute. I am now earning up to $US65 a month from the sales of my crops and it is really something I could not get without this project. I’m always wondering where Kunzwana Women’s Association was all this time and I have no worries of any challenges that may come in future because I know they are here for us.

Future Majoni –Carpentry; Makoni South
The reason why I chose carpentry was because I just didn’t want to take up a course believed to be for women. I wanted something expected of men and prove that women can do it as well. I knew Kunzwana was here to take us out from rags to riches and I am happy that they have made a difference in my life. My first product was a chair and my husband found it difficult to believe that it was my own work that he thought I bought it somewhere. I have no worry of more visitors coming in now because I know I can make as many chairs as I want. I am proud that I can make a difference in my home and in my community.

Perpetua Mchichwa –Poultry; Makoni West
We were very backward for sure; gossiping was what we knew best before we were empowered by Kunzwana. We used to do everything that we were taught back in our communities but before this training we just didn’t do it right. We practiced poultry but we didn’t have much knowledge about it. I never knew chickens need special care and they can also suffer from stress and get sick at times. I now know everything needed to make a good environment of keeping chickens and feeding them. My colleagues and I are now busy with our various projects with no time to waste in gossiping.

Pollar Mhondoro –Garment Making; Makoni North
I can easily admit that I was very backward before attending a Garment making training at Mationesa centre with Kunzwana. Today I am a different woman all together. I know I have the power to provide my family and my community with the best clothing. My biggest dream however is to supply schools in my community with uniforms because it does not make sense to have people from where I come from travelling to Harare for their children’s school uniforms. So, if my colleagues and I can be able to work towards that we would have helped others.

No comments:

Post a Comment